Jesus amazed his listeners in explaining deep spiritual truths by using common life situation and things around Him to illustrate a point: sheep, goats, coins, candles, salt, cities, sand, grain, wine, water, bread, family relationships, farming, fishing, storms, birth, death and a multitude of other metaphors. Life Lessons from Chess is an attempt to follow His model.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

28. Never Give Up

Key Bible Verses: The testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1: 3-4 NIV) 

I can remember a time when I was really interested in improving my Chess game. I joined a club so I would always have someone to play. The competition was pretty fierce. The first few weeks I lost every game. I figured if I persevered I would eventually win a game. Playing every week, that day finally came one year later! It would be difficult to calculate the number of lost games. You can imagine my elation when my opponent turned his king over.

The process of discipleship can be a daunting trek. There will be days when you will want to give up. A lesson I have learned from scripture can be stated in one word: Don’t! Keep on going. Follow God’s plan. You will become mature and complete. What a day it will be when victory is yours!


My response: Lord, give me the perseverance to keep going and never quit.

White's move. Can you find checkmate?

Thought to Apply: When the road we tread is rough, let us bear in mind, in our Savior strength enough we may always find; Thou the fighting may be tough let our motto be: Go on, go on to victory!  (Richard Slater, (1987) The Salvation Army Song Book. Verona, NJ: The Salvation Army. #805).

No comments:

Post a Comment