Jesus amazed his listeners in explaining deep spiritual truths by using common life situation and things around Him to illustrate a point: sheep, goats, coins, candles, salt, cities, sand, grain, wine, water, bread, family relationships, farming, fishing, storms, birth, death and a multitude of other metaphors. Life Lessons from Chess is an attempt to follow His model.

Monday, October 4, 2010

30. One At The Top

Key Bible Verse: For there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live. (I Corinthians 8:6 NIV)

In every sport there comes a set of heroes; a list of people you raise on pedestals. Chess is no different. Over the years there have been a number of Grand Masters I have received lessons from, played, or simply met. In each case I have purchased one of their books. A fascinating phenomenon takes place when I read them: I can actually hear their voice in my head. I admit that I have been very impressed by each. One Grand Master comes to the top in my thinking. This can be attributed to his style of writing, creativity and help in enabling me to win games.

Unlike chess there is only one true master of the universe and that is the God of the Bible. In theological terms this is known as monotheism (one God). From a practical stand point it means making God the overarching priority in all I do, think and say: to make him the very center of my being. Granted this is sometimes easier said than done. However, any activity, person or thing I give greater importance (a false god) only leads to my demise. On the other hand, I can count on the one who made me, who revealed his plan for my life, and who empowers me to live a life of harmony with him and his creation.

My Response: Lord, I worship only you. Thank you for your greatness and for the fact that you love me personally.


Thought to Apply: As Christians, we worship the one true God. He is perfect in every way. He is our creator, preserver of his ongoing purpose, director and the ultimate ruler of all things.

Just for Fun: This is from a game I recently played. The first diagram shows you what the board looked like on move ten. The second diagram pictures how I put him in check with my knight (Nf3) and his forced move to get out of check (Kf1). Can you figure out the next move that made it checkmate?

No comments:

Post a Comment