Jesus amazed his listeners in explaining deep spiritual truths by using common life situation and things around Him to illustrate a point: sheep, goats, coins, candles, salt, cities, sand, grain, wine, water, bread, family relationships, farming, fishing, storms, birth, death and a multitude of other metaphors. Life Lessons from Chess is an attempt to follow His model.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

20. Sacrifice For Gain

Key Bible Verses:  For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Philippians 1: 21)

One of my more memorable games involved a (black) knight that was attacking one of my rooks (e2). I could have taken the rook out of harms way but I ignored it. Instead, I captured a pawn that was in front of my opponent’s king. After he captured my rook, that same knight now was attacking my other rook. Once again I ignored it by capturing another pawn with my bishop. He took the second rook. Now I was down two rooks for two pawns. However, my queen was now in a position to swoop down in front of his king. Check mate!

There are times in life we feel we have to give so much to follow Christ. The reality is, sometimes we do. It can be hard. The larger truth is: what we sacrifice does not compare with what we gain in following God’s will for our life.

My response: Lord, thank you for your sacrifice. Help me follow in your footsteps.

Thought to Apply: My life must be Christ's broken bread, my love his outpoured wine, a cup o'erfilled, a table spread beneath his name and sign; that other souls, refreshed and fed, may share his life through mine. (Albert Orsborn)

No comments:

Post a Comment