Jesus amazed his listeners in explaining deep spiritual truths by using common life situation and things around Him to illustrate a point: sheep, goats, coins, candles, salt, cities, sand, grain, wine, water, bread, family relationships, farming, fishing, storms, birth, death and a multitude of other metaphors. Life Lessons from Chess is an attempt to follow His model.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

22. Pride Goes Before a Fall


Key Bible Verses:  (9) To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: . . . (14) For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." (Luke 18: 9 & 14 NIV)

During the finals in a tournament, my confidence was very high regarding the outcome.  I was in control of the center board. My opponent’s pawn structure was a mess. I was up a bishop. His king was exposed and unable to castle. I placed my queen in a place (e3) to see if he would trade queens. In response, he offered a draw. Feeling sure of myself I turned him down. He moved his queen out of harms way. Now was my chance to start working on a “mating net,” by moving my queen (g5). After all, I was ahead in space and material. My pride had officially set in. Big mistake! It was as if I had blinders on as his queen swooped down the row. Check mate!

When it seems like everything is going your way, be careful not to let pride take hold. It can cloud your thinking. Remember: when God has given you a task to do it’s not about you. It is about HIM! Don’t try to get ahead of His plan by going out on your own.

My response: Lord, help me to go when you say go and stay when you say stay and keep my pride out of the way.

Thought to Apply: “When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died; my richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride.” (Isaac Watts)

No comments:

Post a Comment