Jesus amazed his listeners in explaining deep spiritual truths by using common life situation and things around Him to illustrate a point: sheep, goats, coins, candles, salt, cities, sand, grain, wine, water, bread, family relationships, farming, fishing, storms, birth, death and a multitude of other metaphors. Life Lessons from Chess is an attempt to follow His model.

Friday, September 24, 2010

13. Home Sweet Home

Key Bible Verses: Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. (John 14:1-3 NASB)

Each chess piece sits on a square that is temporarily its home. Each home has an address made of algebraic letters and numbers. As you look at the board, each column is represented by a letter. Going from left to right, it starts with (a) and ends with (h). Each number represents a row. The bottom row, where the white pieces are, begins with (1) and as you go up the board, ends with (8). If I were to give you the location (a1), you would know that is where the white rook is located on the left side when the game begins. Another example is (e8), and that of course is where the black king is located.

Most of us will end up living in many different homes with different addresses as we grow older. The truth of the matter is: life here on earth is temporary. If we have accepted Christ as our savior and stay true to him we have assurance that we will have a home with God for eternity. As a child our family sang: This world is not my home, I'm just a-passing through, my treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue (E. B. Graham); and I've got a mansion just over the hilltop, in that bright land where we'll never grow old. (Ira Stamphill, 1949)

My response: Lord, I recognize that Jesus will come again. I want to be found faithful when he returns so I can make my eternal home with you.

Thought to Apply: Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. (Psalm 23:6 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment