Jesus amazed his listeners in explaining deep spiritual truths by using common life situation and things around Him to illustrate a point: sheep, goats, coins, candles, salt, cities, sand, grain, wine, water, bread, family relationships, farming, fishing, storms, birth, death and a multitude of other metaphors. Life Lessons from Chess is an attempt to follow His model.

Friday, September 24, 2010

19. Mighty Fortress

Key Bible Verses: The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (Psalm 18: 2)

An important aspect of chess is to protect your king. After all, if you loose your king you loose the game. During one particular game I positioned a fortress around my king. A rook on both sides; three pawns in front; each pawn was protected by another piece.  There was only one problem. It was my opponent’s move. His rook was lined up on my king’s pawn and when his knight swooped down to put me in check, there was no place to go. I could not take his knight because it would expose my king to his rook.  Game over.


Psalm 18 was written by David. Fearing for his life, he spent a lot of time hiding from Saul in caves for his protection. While contemplating his demise David came to the conclusion that his fortress, his place of safety did not come from his own cunning, but, from God.

My response: Lord, there are so many today that feel in danger and left by themselves. Help me be a light that leads them to your stronghold.

Thought to Apply: A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing; our helper he amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing. (Martin Luther)

No comments:

Post a Comment