Jesus amazed his listeners in explaining deep spiritual truths by using common life situation and things around Him to illustrate a point: sheep, goats, coins, candles, salt, cities, sand, grain, wine, water, bread, family relationships, farming, fishing, storms, birth, death and a multitude of other metaphors. Life Lessons from Chess is an attempt to follow His model.

Monday, November 8, 2010

35. The Process

Key Bible Verses: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9, NIV)

Generally speaking the process in the game of chess is made up of three sections: the opening, middle, and endgame.
  1. The opening sets up the structure for the rest of the game. The Oxford Companion to Chess lists 1,327 named openings and variants.
  2. Ruben Fine suggests three factors of the middle game. They include: king safety; force (amount of material); and mobility (wide scope of action and targets to focus on). All three need to be developed.
  3. The endgame is when there are only a few pieces left on the board. Each becomes very important in bringing down the opposing king to win the game.

For me to be victorious and receive everlasting fellowship with God (eternal life), I need to be involved in a process with the Trinity.
  1. The first step is “repentance” toward God the Father. This includes the “confession” (acknowledgement) and sorrow for my “sins” (willful disobedience) against God; and seeking his forgiveness.
  2. The second is having “faith” (believing) that God the Son provided a payment of sacrifice for my sins. (see lesson 34. Who Pays?)
  3. And finally there is “regeneration” by God the Holy Spirit. A change takes place. It is a purification of unrighteousness (I John 1:9). The Holy Spirit brings to life new desires for inward purity and love for others.

My response: Lord, thank you for your plan and your work in me. Show me any sins in my life I need to take care of today.

Thought to Apply: I will remind myself today that repentance toward God the Father, faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, and regeneration by the Holy Spirit are necessary for me to be unconditionally accepted by God and promised a new way of life through him.

Just for Fun: In this diagram it is White’s move. Can you see a checkmate?

No comments:

Post a Comment