Jesus amazed his listeners in explaining deep spiritual truths by using common life situation and things around Him to illustrate a point: sheep, goats, coins, candles, salt, cities, sand, grain, wine, water, bread, family relationships, farming, fishing, storms, birth, death and a multitude of other metaphors. Life Lessons from Chess is an attempt to follow His model.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Who Pays?

Key Bible Verses: For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15, NIV)

Playing in a national tournament can be an expensive proposition. First you have the USCF membership fee; then the entrance fee; the cost of the plane fare; hotel fees; meals; and various other expenses. I have to admit, this is often what keeps me from entering. What, on the other hand, would I do if a benefactor offered to pay my way? The only condition was that I had to freely accept the offer. I could come up all kinds of reasons not to take it: “someone else could use the gift more”; “this could be some kind of deception because it is too good to be true”; “I don’t really deserve it”; “I’m really too busy to go.” The truth of the matter is: the gift has no benefit unless I willingly receive it.

I Timothy 2:4, supplies some wonderful information: God wants every person to be saved. How can this take place in that we have all taken offense (sinned) against God (see lesson # 33. Consequences)? Hebrews 9:15 indicates that Christ came to earth to provide a “ransom” (payment) for our sin.  One of the most well known scripture verses in the Bible is John 3:16. It proclaims that God loves each one of us so much that if we accept the truth (believe with our own free will) in God the Son as our savior; we can have eternal fellowship with him. What a wonderful gift!

My response: Lord, thank you for paying the price for my salvation.

Thought to Apply: I will remind myself today that the Lord Jesus Christ has by his sacrifice on the cross, provided compensation for the sins of every individual on earth, so that each person who accepts this gift will be saved.

Just for Fun: In this diagram it is White’s move. Can you see a checkmate?

2 comments:

  1. I thought the players were little round red and black discs! Good site. Check mine (no pun intended) out sometime:
    www.Christiancontrarians@blogspot.com

    Blessings friend.

    ReplyDelete